Removing Spy Ski Helmet Ear Pads
Did you buy the "Spy Sender Snow Helmet with MIPS Safety System" at Costco, only to be dismayed that the "removable" ear pads / ear covers / ear muffs are not removable at all, no matter how hard you pull?
Well, that was me, and I was on the brink of returning the ski / snowboarding helmet before 1der and I figured out how to remove the ear covers. I'm super happy we figured it out, because it's a really nice helmet, and I like it a lot! Maybe this works for other models of Spy helmets. I wouldn't know, since I only bought the one from Costco (the "Sender" model).
A quick, bullet point review:
1. MIPS rated, which means industry-standard protection for your brain.
2. Very comfortable, with lots of padding.
3. Very adjustable, with a racheting system in the back (like a bike helmet) that secures the helmet to your melon and enables a more customizable fit.
4. Has an adjustable slider on top, which opens or closes five vents on top. The front vents always remain open, which, in theory, means you'll always have ventilation above your glasses or goggles to minimize fogging.
5. Looks really good on the noggin, except for the Princess Leah look with the giant (thankfully removable!) ear pads / ear muffs. The flip side to these thick pads is you'll be loving them on a really cold or snowy day.
6. Nice, tight slot in the back to securely hold goggles. On a side note, at first, I didn't think the helmet would enable me to rest the goggles on the forehead area when not in use. I had to really stretch the goggles, and they stayed up.
6. The only thing I didn't like about it was I couldn't remove the ear pads, even though all the literature said they are removable. I was going to return it, but then we figured out how to make them removable!
Check out this video before before breaking 😱 or returning the helmet, and you'll see how easy it is to remove the ear pads, as well as replace them with something less bulky and more comfortable. Happy Viewing!
P.S. To Costco and Spy Helmets: You're welcome!!!
Just a quick note to THANK YOU for documenting how to remove these ear pads. We love these helmets, but we were afraid to try and yank the ear pads out. No clue why Spy (or Costco) doesn’t include instructions directing how to do this! Thanks again!!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved for public display.